Hi everyone. A few anons have asked for my thoughts on the situation between PurpleKecleon/Mel/PapayaKitty and PengoSolvent. If you don’t know what’s going on: PK is a very well-known artist. Pengo is a lesser-known artist and musician who used to work with and date PK. It started when PK made a post vilifying Pengo. Recently, Pengo called out PK over the post, claiming that PK was manipulative and possibly abusive, and things went downhill from there.
Context: I’ve been an enormous fan of PK for well over a decade. I’m talking back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and Oekaki ruled supreme. I’ve held them at the top of my ‘artists I’d like to emulate’ list for a very long time. Not just their art, their person and their values. So trust me, I’d like to believe in them.
I’d normally just link to someone else’s post, but 1. this situation rings close to my heart and 2. I haven’t been able to find any posts that address certain key issues. So I took the liberty to vomit out a few pages of my own input. Keep reading for discussion about power disparity and abusive behavior. (Warning: hyperlinks to rape/death threats, discussion of abuse, discussion of ableism.)
Really good post on this situation.
Hi there, I’m not someone who is directly involved in the calling out of PK, but one reason this was brought to my attention was because apparently PK is now attempting to sue Pengo, for what I assume is going to be libel and/or malicious falsehood since they are accusing Pengo of fabricating evidence which is hurting their reputation. And suing is a very serious matter.
I don’t know PK, I don’t know if they are actually going through with a defamation lawsuit or if this is being used as a scare tactic to try and silence Pengo or both.
My stepdad has a degree in law, and oftentimes I would ask him for questions about lawsuits because I am a very curious person and interested in court cases. But I didn’t just want to wait around for his response about defamation lawsuits, so I did research of my own.
That said, let’s dissect a defamation lawsuit.
A helpful list of resources for all your fictional victorian piracy needs, brought to you by writingandresources!
(The sources on this particular list is mostly relevant to European pirates of the 16th and 17th centuries only, not modern or Asian pirates. Some sources are from the Victorian era (1800’s) but should help put things in perspective. Take with a grain of salt, and keep this in mind even when writing fantasy stories!)
SHIPS & SAILING
- Anatomy of an English Man Of War
- Different kinds of ships and boats
- General Terminology
- Ship Anatomy Terminology
- A brief history of Piracy
- Roles and responsibilities aboard a ship
- More info on ranking
- The wardrobe of a European Pirate
- What is piracy?
- Women Pirates recognized by historians (Covers earlier ages of piracy as well, but is likely an incomplete list)
CRIME, PUNISHMENT, AND CONDUCT
- Punishment system aboard a ship
- More punishments aboard the ship
- Punishments for Convicted Pirates (i.e the legal punishment for engaging in piracy)
- Pirate code of Conduct (founded by Portuguese pirate in the 17th century)
- Currency in the Victorian Era
- How much things costed
- Currency, coinage and the cost of living (1600’s to 1900’s)
- Convert modern American currency into 1750s English currency
- A quick guide to British Currency
AVOIDING INCORRECT STEREOTYPES